Friday, February 14, 2014

Farewell Aunt May



Farewell my precious Aunt May. This blog post is my memory post to you. My sweet aunt ended her journey here on earth on Tuesday, Feb. 11th. Despite the great sadness of knowing that she is gone,(that has left my heart oh so empty) I am ever so grateful that she has been called home, to reunite with many dearly missed love ones. I have a deep belief that such a reunion has occurred, and that she is once again in the presence of our Heavenly Father and her departed family members. That belief, or better knowledge, lifts my heart, and renews my hope that we will once again meet.

Aunt May was the first person to know of my arrival ( well, except my mother and a few hospital people) 63 years ago, on Feb. 9th 1951. She visited my mother who had been hospitalized because of her high blood pressure. ( Yes I'm a preemie) Dad was home sick with the flu, and those same hospital people had neglected to call and tell him that I had arrived. So Aunt May, we've been friends for a loooong time.

Throughout my life Aunt May and Uncle Harold were constants, very close to my mom and dad, and never far from a good game of cards. Things of course changed with the passing of Uncle Harold, and the dynamics of that relationship were stepped up....with Mom and Dad caring lots for Aunt May's needs. Mom and May would talk each day, and if something needed fixing Dad was there. Aunt May used to tell me how she'd say what a nuisance she was, and Dad would tell her to stop using that word.

Fourteen years ago, my mother died ( Dad had died two years previous) and Aunt May and I grieved deeply for mom and for her..sister,Mary. From that time on things changed once again. While still striving to bevery independent ( now 86yrs old), we began a journey of support as needed; going to appointments together, grocery shopping, trips to Zellers, sometimes just out for drives and a few other adventures.
May was a strong woman; determined not to inconvenience anyone. She continued in her home until just after her 100th birthday. She cooked for herself,kept an organized house,stayed in touch with family....remembering many birthdays....and very faithfully read her bible. As the years added up she missed the independence of walking, needing a walker and later a wheelchair. She missed attending church, and was very sad when her home church St.Mathias was closed.

She entered Arborstone Nursing home in November of 2012. People there couldn't help but love her. She was so appreciative of all that they did for her ( confiding in me that the male care givers were her favorites) We had many special visits and chats over the next year and a half. When I'd enter her room she made me feel like royalty, telling me how happy that she was that I had come. Times were tough for her;her body was shutting down;and her world growing smaller. But she always seemed to look for the good in every situation.

Aunt May, you were a true follower of the Savior. Honest, obedient, caring, and looking for the good in everyone. You trusted in the plan of your Father in Heaven, and you were very ready to return to your Heavenly Home. Heaven did indeed receive another angel on Tuesday. God bless you, and thank you for all that you taught me and for your unconditional love. I will miss you. Give my Mom and Dad a big hug for me, and tell them that I'm trying to be the best that I can be.
                                  One Hundred years old



101 years old...she had had a mild stroke a few days before this birthday


Still ready to celebrate


My heart goes out to her family, my cousins, who living far from their Mom, ( except Ralph) didn't have the convenience of daily/weekly visits. They came as often as life allowed them too, and saw to her needs as much as possible. The boys were always ready to do any fixing up that she needed, and the girls spoiled her with gifts, and cooking when they visited. She was very very proud of each of you. She loved her weekly calls, and beautiful cards, letters, and photos.She loved you all, and your families. 





No comments:

Post a Comment