Monday, June 23, 2014

Visiting Teaching, Packing, then up into the clouds!!!

June 19th....getting close to our western adventure but there were a few things to finish after Laura left.
First on the list was some Visiting teaching. I want to do a shout out to this very inspired program. Visiting Teaching is a calling within the Relief Society of our church. Paired up with another sister, we visit other sisters, and observe and see to any needs that they may have. We also bring them a spiritual message as assigned by the leadership of this great church. I have been a visiting teacher for approximately forty years of my life and it is an amazing blessing in my life. While it's general purpose is to support and uplift other ladies in our organization, I always come away strengthened from the experience. It helps me know others better, and appreciate the life circumstances of myself and others.

One of the choicest parts of visiting teaching is who I serve with. I have worked with several good women over the years, but I must say my present companion is a true angel. Her name is Joan Renshaw, and she and I have been serving together for approximately fifteen years. Joan would know the exact amount because she has the best memory of the two of us. 
Joan just celebrated her 88th Birthday, and she is an awesome lady.
She often says that she doesn't do much for the sisters that we teach but that is so not the case. I'm sure to begin with that each of the sisters feel honored to have her as their VT.
Joan has experienced so many things in her lifetime, and been a pioneer of the church in the Maritimes. I love when she shares stories about those early days. She also loves to read and brings so very much to the lessons that we teach. She has an incredible memory and can recite so many different scriptures. She always reads beyond the lesson, and I appreciate her input so very very much !!!
She recently taught me yet another valuable lesson.
Joan is a widow who lives on her own. She doesn't drive, but gets herself to many things by walking or using the public transit. She loves her gardens and  she recently planted some new flower beds outside of her house.
Our lesson this month was about ministering to others. Joan expressed that she felt that she wasn't able to do much for others, but she felt that maybe her garden would cheer up others who saw it. It certainly will...and really that is ministering to others.
I love this lady with all of my heart, and it is certainly a deep honor for me to serve with her.
Thank you Joan


Olivia dressed to VT with Joan and I


 

 Sweet Joan Renshaw...the best companion ever

 

VT companions and one of Joan's gardens

Later that day we went out to dinner with Karen, Brandon, and Olivia. A farewell dinner for Brandon

 

 

And here we go to Saskatchewan......at 5:30am....on Friday

 

 

                  I love clouds

 

Down from the clouds then into Costco and some Five Guys.
Across the flat prairie, and then to Yorkton....Cooper and Jessica were at home to greet us
The rest were in school, and Kathy was dropping something off to one of the kids.
The rest of the photos will highlight our arrival.....lots of rain everywhere !!














 




















Stay tuned....this adventure has just begun!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment